26 August 2009

Counseling 501 - Role of the Holy Spirit in the Life of a Counselor

As some of you may know, I just started a Master's program in biblical counseling at Liberty Baptist (online). I have decided to blog some of my discussion questions.

Week 1

What role do you believe the Holy Spirit has in the personal and professional life of a Christian counselor?

The Holy Spirit active in the Counselor’s personal life is essential...It’s a must. In reality, ALL Christians are called on to be counselors at some level (Titus 2…older men and women should teach the younger ones), as all Christians are called on to be missionaries (Matthew 28:19-20). Now, if I am to counsel other Christians, I need to have the wisdom and mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:6-13 states, “However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.” 10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy[
d] Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

If I, as a “professional counselor” do not have the mind of Christ, or the Holy Spirit living in me, I CANNOT be a Christian Counselor. It is also ESSENTIAL that the Holy Spirit is part of the professional life of a Counselor. How can I have correct discernment or provide accurate help if I do not rely on the Holy Spirit at all points while counseling a client? If I am only filling the client’s head with worldly wisdom, what will the client profit? True healing ONLY comes through Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit. My client may or may not be a Christian. But, my hope and prayer is that by the power/influence of the Holy Spirit, the person would come into a saving relationship with Jesus. My job may be to plant seeds, water the seeds, or reap the harvest. But, if I don’t rely on the Holy Spirit to guide and direct me, how would I know?

No comments: